Castleford 16-28 Warrington

Warrington ran out 28-16 winners over Castleford in an error strewn encounter at The Jungle.

Castleford opened the scoring after 11 minutes through James Evans when he collected a neat pass from Brent Sherwin  to claim his 60th try in Super League with Joe Westerman adding the extras. The Tigers extended their lead with 20 minutes on the clock when Ryan McGoldrick‘s short ball allowed Westerman to score but the young forwards conversion attempt was off-target.

Warrington finally opened their account for evening on 28 minutes when Simon Grix grounded a grubber kick by Lee Briers and Chris Riley, who scored 5 tries against Harlequins last weekend, collected a trademark chip by Briers after 35 minutes to level matters as the sides went into the break tied at 10-10 although Westerman missed a penalty attempt right on the stroke of half time.

The first points of the second half went the way of the Tigers on 50 minutes as Evans claimed his second try of the night. Warrington fullback made a mess of Sherwin’s grubber and Evans hacked on the loose ball to put Castleford back in front.

The lead was to prove short-lived as Briers plucked a Rangi Chase pass out of the air and ran clear for an interception try to restore parity. The home side regained the lead through a Westerman penalty after 55 minutes but a try from Richie Myler put the Wolves in front for the first time in the match. Tigers hooker Ryan Hudson fumbled the ball and the former Salford half-back collected the loose ball and touched down for his second try of the season.

Castleford had a try ruled out on 66 minutes for a knock-on by Michael Wainwright and the Wolves moved further in front with a penalty from Chris Bridge before Myler’s second try of the night, following good work by Briers, after 74 minutes put the visitors firmly in control and Tony Smith’s charges held on for a hard earned victory.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.