York City Knights have announced that homegrown hooker Harry Carter has signed a two year extension to stay at Bootham Crescent until the end of 2019.
The 23 year old made his first-team debut in 2013 and became a regular starter in 2015, but Carter’s real breakthrough season came in 2016 as he featured 18 times.
He had been in good form – sharing hooking duties with Andy Ellis and Will Jubb this season – until an emergency hernia operation sidelined him after the Whitehaven game in June.
Commenting on his new deal, Carter said: “I’m excited to sign for a further two years at the Knights, the club and fans have shown me nothing but support since I first made my pro debut here.
“It makes it ten times easier to sign a two year deal when some of your good mates have also signed [Brad Hey & Ronan Dixon].
“The club has real passion and intent to be successful and I want to be part of that journey. The playing group is getting better each week, and securing my future with York means I can focus on improving my game further and contributing to the team.”
Head coach James Ford – who tutored Carter at Wakefield College as well as bringing him through the Knights’ youth system – said: “I’m delighted that Harry is staying with us long term. It will be great to see him back playing to a good level now he’s recovered from his hernia injury.
“It’s great to see him happy and also taking up plenty of leadership responsibilities despite still being one of the younger members of the group.
“I do feel there’s even more levels in him and it’s up to me to get that out of him. When we do, we’ll have one heck of a player.”
Carter could potentially return from an 8 game absence with hernia injury in time to face Doncaster at Bootham Crescent on Sunday 3rd September (3pm).