Melbourne Storm are said to be furious about the Dolphins pursuit of Cameron Munster and have hit Wayne Bennett’s men with an official hands-off warning.
The Dolphins have made it very clear they are keen to lure Munster to Redcliffe. However the playmaker is under contract until the end of 2023 and the Storm are attempting to extend the deal. Munster is weighing up his options and joining Bennett is one of them.
There is nothing stopping the Dolphins talking to Munster. But they can only make him an offer for 2024 from 1st November this year.
Munster could then decide to accept it and see the 2023 season out with Melbourne before making the switch. However talk of a move to the Dolphins for the start of their inaugural campaign refuses to go away.
Melbourne Storm stand firm
Melbourne have said on more than one occasion Munster will not be allowed to leave early. The player’s management have also said the same.
Despite this, the suggestion keeps being put out there. And the Storm were apparently left furious by Bennett’s recent comments. When quizzed about the situation Bennett hinted 2023 was still an option.
“A lot of that [contract talk] is speculation, but we’re keen to have Cameron at Redcliffe, whether it’s in 2023 or 2024,” Bennett told 9News Queensland on Wednesday.
The Storm were not impressed and according to News Corp’s Dean Ritchie, a complaint has gone in.
“The Storm were very cranky at comments Wayne Bennett made yesterday about being keen to get Munster for 2023 and 2024. But he’s under contract for 2023, lock and key a strong, firm deal down there at Melbourne,” Ritchie told NRL Tonight.
“So they thought, ‘we’re over this’ and lodged a formal complaint with the Dolphins saying ‘hands off, he’s under contract next year, we won’t be letting him go and even if we did want to let him go, which we don’t, we won’t be doing it now.’
“They did also say if it happens again and the Storm find out the Dolphins are agitating for Munster in 2023 that they will then go and lodge another complaint, but this time with the NRL.”
Munster the top target
The Dolphins need a marquee signing and Munster is their top target. However if they are to land the five-eighth they will have to wait until 2024.
Anthony Milford is another option for the Dolphins. The former Brisbane Broncos star has just signed with Newcastle until the end of the season. But unlike Munster he is so far available for 2023 and Bennett has confirmed his interest.