Australia win as Briers bows out

Lee Briers ended his international career with a defeat, but Wales did themselves proud as they lost 56-14 to Australia.

The Warrington stand-off recorded his 100th point for Wales as he put in a masterful performance for the home side, who led for much of the first half, only to ship two late tries to the Kangaroos on the stroke of half time.

Tim Sheens’ men then cut loose in the second half, but Wales still managed to get a third try, and the score that enabled Briers to hit his milestone.

It was the Welsh who got the first points on the board when Rhys Williams dived to touch down a superbly weighted Lee Briers kick. Briers just missing the conversion.

Wales extended the lead on the 13 minute mark when the ball was spread wide to Elliot Kear who dived in at the corner. Briers again just missing with his conversion attempt.

Australia got on the score sheet in the 20th minute when Cameron Smith burrowed his way over from the play of the ball area to score the try. Thurston converted to put the Kangaroo’s just two points behind the Welsh.

The Australian’s did finally take the lead on the 37th minute when Smith broke through the Welsh defence to pass inside to Cooper Cronk who touched down under the sticks. 

Cronk scored again on the half time hooter to extend the Australian lead, Thurston again adding the extras to leave the half time score at 18-8 to Australia

Australia extended their lead further at the start of the second half when Thurston broke clear to pass inside with the move finished off by Dale Cherry-Evans, Thurston converting.

Minutes later, Darius Boyd scored as Australia turned defence into attack when Boyd caught a high kick and finished off a length of the field move for the Kangaroos. Thurston adding the extras to extend Australia‘s lead to 30-8.

Wales hit back with a try of their own shortly after when Ross Divorty palmed back a Briers kick which allowed Jordan James to pounce and touch down for the try. The successful conversion by Briers meant the half back reached the 100 point mark for Wales in his final international game.

Australia scored again on the 58th minute when Boyd broke down the left hand side and passed to Thurston who scored under the sticks. Thurston converting his own try.

Three minutes later, Thurston went from scorer to provider when he intercepted a stray Welsh pass and put Greg Inglis in for the try. Thurston converting from in front of the sticks.

Australian winger, Jharal Yow Yee, extended the lead further when he finished well in the corner. Thurston failing to add the extras on this occasion.

Cronk scored his hat-trick two minutes later after he received the ball off the back of a Cherry-Evans break and cantered to touch down under the sticks. Thurston adding the easy conversion.

Australia got on the score sheet again shortly after when Josh Morris capitalised on an Elliot Kear mistake to touch down in the corner.

That try proved to be the last action of the match to leave the final score at Wales 14-56 Australia. The Kangaroos will now face England next week at Elland Road in the Four Nations Final.

Picture Credit:

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.