Adam Doueihi to miss crucial World Cup clash after unsuccessful appeal

Adam Doueihi

Lebanon star Adam Doueihi will miss his side’s crucial clash against Ireland in the World Cup after having his appeal rejected against his suspension. 

The 24-year-old was sent off during the second half against New Zealand at the Halliwell Jones Stadium. The match review panel gave him a one-match penalty notice for Grade A foul and/or abusive language to a match official. 

The half-back appealed the suspension, but was unsuccessful at a hearing on Tuesday night.

It means he will miss Lebanon’s fixture against Ireland at the Leigh Sports Village on Sunday, with both sides fighting for a place in the quarter-finals from Group C.

There was plenty of uncertainty around Doueihi’s sending off on Sunday night, with spectators left puzzled by the official’s decision.

Lebanon head coach Michael Cheika said after the game: “Adam Doueihi was sent off because he said something to the referee. But those things, you’ve got to look at them; that’s an accumulation of frustration that comes from the back of the try previous where there’s no play the ball by Brandon Smith. 

“And then continued blocks from the kick-offs. It’s a shame we lost a man because we were in the right in the tussle.”

Anthony Milford banned

Samoa half-back Anthony Milford also picked up a one-game suspension and will miss his side’s fixture with Greece.

He received a one-match penalty notice for a Grade A dangerous contact charge against England. He was sin-binned in their 60-6 defeat in Newcastle for a late hit on opposition skipper Sam Tomkins.

More World Cup content

Luke Keary: Representing Ireland one of my proudest moments

England performance not a surprise to rival coach Kristian Woolf as Tonga prepare for PNG

Scotland coach Nathan Graham confident they can bounce back for Australia test

FOLLOW: Keep up with all the latest on the Love Rugby League mobile app and podcast

About Josh McAllister 2126 Articles
Journalist. Joined the Love Rugby League team full time at the start of 2022 having been a freelance reporter for several years. Previously media manager for Swinton and Rochdale.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*